Sunday 28 June 2015

The Month of Forgotten Projects

Its been bears all the way for the last few months as I worked towards a show at the end of May. Some of the bears who still need homes are now on the Ursa Minor Facebook Page The link should take you straight to the photographs. You don't need to be a member of Facebook or log in to see them. If you want to know more about any of them and don't have a Facebook account you can email me instead at ursaminor{at}blueyonder{dot}co{dot}uk.

With my bear-making frenzy over and the 'craftermath' dealt with (sort of) I decided that June should be The Month of Forgotten Projects. I scoured every box, cupboard and drawer for unfinished and forgotten things, and found, well, LOTS. Everything from these Mister Finch inspired toadstools that had been waiting for the embroidery on the base for over a year, (definitely going to be making more of these to scatter around the house)




to cushion covers, some of last year's Christmas decoration designs that never got finished in time and numerous bears, cross stitch and needlepoint pieces, brooches and wall hangings.

In truth there were too many to reasonably finish in one month, not least the pile of unfinished embroideries I got from my Grandma earlier in the year, so I've worked on the things that were closest to being finished and I've managed to complete quite a few:

A birdie applique cushion cover


Little hessian heart decorations


white felt Christmas decorations


A Christmas THING!!

Now July is almost here and I've named it The Month of Experimentation. I'm so excited about the idea of spending the whole month trying out new techniques, crafts and ideas. I've got loads of things planned - wire and beady things, faery wing things, needle-felty things, embroidery things, polymer clay things, wand-making and lots of new bear and rabbit pattern ideas. It's a very long list.

I'm also continuing to scavenge for bobbins and other needle craft bits and bobs from markets and vintage shops. I found this poor mousie pincushion and scissor holder at Tynemouth Market .

 Missing both her eyes and looking a bit grubby round the edges I just had to take her home and get her restored to her former self. I tried sponge cleaning her dress and hat a little with not much success but at least she now has some eyes and whiskers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment